Find answers to our most common questions.
How to send money
- Find a location Find a MoneyGram agent location near you.
- Prepare for your agent visit
- Bring the following information:
- For all sends:
- Your I.D. where applicable
- Your recipient's full name matching their I.D. and their location
- The amount you wish to send, plus fees.
- If sending to a bank account, you also need your recipient's bank name and account number.
- If sending to a mobile wallet, you also need your recipient's mobile number with international dial code.
- For all sends:
- Complete your transaction Where applicable, complete a send form. Give the agent the completed form with applicable funds (including transaction fees).
- Notify your recipient Save your receipt and share the 8-digit reference number with your recipient for pick-up. Funds sent to a bank account or mobile wallet will be sent directly into the account.
MoneyGram is available at agent locations worldwide. For an agent location near you, use our MoneyGram agent locator tool.
MoneyGram fees vary based on the send and receive countries and the amount sent.
The limits depend on the applicable legal requirements and circumstances of each transaction (such as receive country)*. For further information, please contact your local agent or our customer service.
*Requirements vary by country. Maximum send or receive limits may also apply.
Most MoneyGram agents accept cash only for transactions at agent locations. Contact your agent prior to your visit to find out what method of payment they accept.
Money is typically ready for cash pickup within 24 hours* after the transfer has been sent successfully.
*Subject to agent operating hours and compliance with regulatory requirements
MoneyGram offers a choice of currencies for sending or receiving money in select countries. Ask your MoneyGram agent for full details on the currency options available for your transaction.
No. If the country to which you're sending money allows money to be received in more than one currency, as the sender you will select the currency in which the money will be received.
Check with your MoneyGram agent to verify the country you're sending money to allows money to be received in more than one currency.
1. Make sure they have the correct Reference/Confirmation Number.1
2. Verify your Receiver has a valid photo identification (ID), and that the name on the ID matches the name you provided when sending the money.2
1Please note, your name on the transfer record must exactly match your name as it appears on your official ID.
2Requirements may vary by country and agent. Please ask your local MoneyGram agent for details about their process and procedures. For further assistance, contact us by completing the contact form on this site.
Receive money from an agent location
You'll need the following in order to receive your money transfer:
· Government-issued identification+ (ID) that displays your legal name+
· Reference number - request the reference number from the person who sent you the money transfer^
+Please note, your name on the transfer record, completed by the person sending you the transfer, and must exactly match your name as it appears on your official ID.
^ Requirements vary by country so please ask your local MoneyGram agent for details about their process and procedures.
MoneyGram is available at agent locations around the world so we are never far away. To find an agent location near you, use our locator tool.
- Ask for the reference number associated with your transfer. The person sending you the money transfer will have the reference number.
- Visit a MoneyGram location. Remember to bring your reference number and personal identification*.
- Complete the receiver form at the location and hand the completed form to the MoneyGram agent to receive your money.
You may be required to provide personal identification+, usually one or more of the following:
- Driving license
- National identity card or
- Government-issued identification
You may also be required to provide proof of address.
Please ask your local MoneyGram agent for acceptable identification formats, as well as details about their process and procedures.
Requirements vary by country and agent. Please contact your local MoneyGram agent in advance for information about their process and procedures.
*Please note, your name on the transfer record must exactly match your name as it appears on your official ID.
Money is typically ready for cash pickup within minutes after the transfer has been sent successfully, regardless of the payment method used.*
*Subject to agent operating hours and compliance requirements.
Phishing is a type of online fraud designed to steal your personal information, such as:
- User names
- Credit card details or
- Secret questions and answers
Phishing is typically carried out by email and is disguised to appear as a legitimate email from MoneyGram. Links in an email direct you to a fake website that looks like the legitimate MoneyGram online site. It is best to not click on the links in an email. If you wish to visit our site, type our website address into your browser instead of clicking on an email link.
Here are some things to look for if you suspect you have received a phishing email:
- Links to a website asking you to verify your account information
- Links to a website asking you for a bank account or credit card numbers, user names, and passwords
- Threats if you don't verify your account information, your account will be shut down
It is a good practice to never click on the links provided in an email. Instead, type the website address directly into your internet browser.
The best way to avoid becoming a victim of phishing is to carefully review email messages you receive to see if it is a phishing scam, and to become aware of common scams
- It is a good practice to never click on the links provided in an email. Instead, type the website address directly into your internet browser.
If you suspect you've received a phishing email, don't second guess yourself - report it!
Consumer fraud awareness
No. MoneyGram NEVER sends you an unsolicited email asking for your personal or financial information.
If you receive a suspicious email claiming to be from MoneyGram, please report it to us so we can investigate. Also, if your financial information has been compromised, we recommend you contact your financial institution immediately.
The person receiving the MoneyGram transfer must present a valid photo ID and know information about the transfer.
To help protect yourself further, keep all information about your money transfer confidential and be sure you know the person to whom you're sending money.
You may use the contact form to report fraudulent activity by selecting Report Fraud from the Type of Request drop down*. Please provide details of the incident in the Comments field.
*If you suspect fraud on a transaction that has not yet been received, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-926-9400 in order to have the transaction cancelled immediately
For more information, visit our Consumer Fraud Prevention site.
MoneyGram Plus Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit any MoneyGram location and one of our agents will be happy to enroll you as a Plus member.
- Notifications - You'll be notified via email when your transaction has been picked up by the receiver.
- Personalized Offers - if you have “opted in,” you’ll receive emails with personalized, exclusive offers and information about MoneyGram products. You will be the first to know!
Unfortunately, you will not be able to set up an online profile while we are updating the site. If you would like to modify your profile information, please visit a MoneyGram agent location or call 800 90665 and one of our customer care agents will assist you.
No. The name on the Money Transfer has to match the MoneyGram Plus name.
You can call 800 90665 for assistance.
If you change your address, contact details, or want to update your email preferences, please visit a MoneyGram agent or call 800 90665 for assistance.
Please call 800 90665 for assistance.
If you sign up for Receive Notice, you will receive a notification by email when your transaction has been picked up.
Yes, this is one of many benefits we offer to our loyal MoneyGram Plus customers.
A notification can be sent at any time 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Certain types of MoneyGram delivery or receive mechanisms will not be eligible for notification service (for example: home delivery and bank account deposits). The Receive Notice applies to eligible money transfers consisting of person-to-person money transfer services picked up at a MoneyGram agent location, but it does not apply to money transfers originating outside of Italy or any other product or service. Members are responsible for any telecommunication fees charged by their telephone or internet service provider.
There are a few reasons you might not get your Receive Notice in your email:
- Your email address in your profile could be incorrect. Please make sure your profile reflects your correct email address by calling 800 90665.
- A "spam filter" may be preventing you from receiving the emails.
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may prevent you from receiving these emails.
To stop receiving further notifications via e-mail, please call 800 90665.